Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 78

I picked this up in Beijing last year. It's made from one solid piece of soft jade.Each of the inner pieces move independently of each other. The tradition was that the first Father carved the outer shell. His son then carved the next inner piece making it move independent from the out piece. Then his son would carve the next inner shell. This one has 4 shells and one inner ball making this a 5 generation work of art. This particular one was probably carved for tourist consumption, but it's the thought that counts.

So, I'm sitting here thinking what legacy I'll pass on to my son (and daughters!). I have no great works of art, but hopefully I'll pass on my ideals, ethics, hopes and dreams (if I can find them still). My avid hope is that they are better than I am. And I'm not talking financially, although I hope that as well.  No, in ways that reveal a person's true worth -- self esteem, intelligence and wisdom. I have many faults -- ask my kids and they'll tell you. But I firmly and wholeheartedly believe in their great value and worth. I've always believed that. I've always told them to take the best of what I have, throw out the bad stuff and become even better. That's the way I think it should be, each generation improving and getting better. No matter where you are in life I believe in you. Even if you've given up on yourself, I believe in you. I can't explain it, but that's the way it is. Just as I have a belief, there is one who has a sure knowledge of your worth. You know of Whom I speak of. There's an old cowboy song with the lyrics of "He'll find a way to speak to you one day".

No comments:

Post a Comment