Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 110

My baby.  Meet my Nikon D200 that I prefer to use. I have the 50 mm 1.8D lens attached for this image. I used my Canon SD950 to take this image, which is my favorite travel camera when I want to be more discrete. It's an interesting phenomenon, but when I pull out the D200 everyone gets self conscious. No one cares if you pull out a small point and click. I have a Heliopan UV filter. I like this one as it is thinner than most of the others. A filter is also good to prevent scratches on the lens. I learned that one when I dropped by D80 with a 18-200 lens attached. It crushed the glass in the filter and only a tiny minor nick in the lens that doesn't show up in images. That cheap $35 filter protected the $750 lens. However, I did drop that lens when I was in the Alkmaar cheese market in the Netherlands. The lens was fully extended and hit the brick surface. Repair cost: $150. It worked fine, but I bought a new one and gifted that one to Jenn. She now uses it on my old D70 that I gifted her as well. It still takes great images. And yes, I've learned my lesson and hang on to my camera.




-tom mcmurtrey

No comments:

Post a Comment