Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 98

Somewhere over southern Colorado
1/4000 F4 ISO 1600

This is an image of the right side propeller on a Beechcraft 1900. So, I was using my little Canon point and Shoot and wondered if I could capture a still image of the prop. You've seen them when running at full speed and they are a blur (see below). Well my Nikon D200 was at my feet so put away the little guy and pulled out the Nikon and put it in manual mode. I took about 200 images and I liked this the best. Just for reference, a shutter speed of 1/4000 = .00025 seconds. That means that very little light hits the sensor. That's why I cranked up the ISO to 1600. Makes the picture a bit grainy, but I got the image I wanted.  Notice that you can also see a reflection of the plane on the prop tip.

The view port on the plane was not great, but I was pleased that I could capture the prop while it was running full speed. The tips of each blade was still a bit blurry.

And just for a reference, Below s the same prop I took with my Canon 1000SD just after take off in Farmington. The prop was turning at about the same rate in both images. And 1/60 = .016667 seconds.

Over the runway. Farmington, NM.
1/60 F2.8 ISO 80

No comments:

Post a Comment