Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 59

I decided on taking this image tonight as a reminder of the many, many endless hours I've invested over the years in building and repairing computers. Mostly my own, but I did this professionally for a while as well. Can't tell you why but as anyone who's done this there is great satisfaction in getting one of these babies running. Even as a kid I always enjoyed destroying -- I mean disassembling "things" just to see how they work. Strange how they seem to run just fine with fewer components...  All I can say is that working on computers on all levels has been one of the most rewarding and at times frustrating, but always interesting times that I've had.

This is a computer I built for Sherylin when she went off to BYU years ago. She gave it back when she purchased her own laptop (Yes, I said she purchased -- with her own money -- the sign of a successful parent). So now I'm going to update the CPU from a Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz to a 3.06 Ghz with a 533 Mhz FSB. Why? Well, because I can.  No other reason really. Now to figure out how to get some more memory for it. If I can remember...

Ghz - giga herz or 1 billion cycles per second
Mhz - mega herz or 1 million cycles per second
FSB - Front Side Bus. Has to do with the architecture of the memory and data paths on the motherboard.
Sherylin - a most beautiful daughter
computer - frustrating electrical device

No comments:

Post a Comment