Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 365 - Journey's End

I thought it fitting that I end this journey where I began -- my office. This time in color; although there really  isn't that much. Perhaps that is fitting. I'm not at the same place when I started. Nor am I where I want to be, but -- and this is important -- I am not in the dark place I was heading. I have make progress.  I don't know how to describe this experience. I started with excitement and enthusiasm.This project was harder than I imagined. I can say that there is only one day that I did not take a picture and that was after a long weekend after a trip. I used a picture from the following day. Other than that I have been faithful in taking a picture a day. I didn't get the posts done every day and here towards the end it was a struggle to find time. I think at one time I was about 4 weeks behind. I started this journey with my good friend Angel. Please visit his blog and leave a comment http://ewolf365.blogspot.com/. He introduced me to this project and I just decided to start last March 1. We hit the ground running. I said it would be about the journey. Hopefully we've had an opportunity to view life as I see it. Some images have been good and others average. Sometimes I've had hundreds of images to choose from and some days only one or two.  On some of my journeys I've had many wonderful photos I wished I could have shared, many times I had tough choices. That's because original I wanted to only post one image per day. Early on I decided to do more as I felt inspired. I hope it wasn't too much. as I didn't want to overwhelm or bore you. I've enjoyed the opportunity to share some of my thoughts. Those who know me understand how difficult that is for me in an open forum such as this. Most of the time I had to imagine that I was only writing for one or two people and then press "post" without thinking about it. I make no apologies as you got to see and hear how I think on some subjects.  I don't know where I'll go from here. I will probably post from time to time, but I don't expect to share every day. That is one pressure I put on myself and I have other challenges I've started -- playing cello for instance (I'm in my 3rd month and may even find an instructor).

Just for reference, this is my original post:

So, have I found the joy and resonance I was looking for? Somewhat. I'm in a better place. I've found and cemented some relationships -- you know who you are and thanks for you unconditional love. I've let go of some and that was hard, but for the best. I have a new position at work and that is challenging and who knows where I'll be in another year.

It's hard to see in the two images, but the only real changes are two new monitors and a new laptop. I didn't have my backpack in today image. Most of the desk drawers are still empty.

Where has the past year taken you?  Set a goal to accomplish something and see where it takes you. This journey was one of commitment. I knew several friends and family that tried to do a 365. It's tough Angel knows because he quit many times, but I managed to cajole him into finishing. Proud of you Angel! And your images have gotten better. See, part of the journey was just trying, taking a chance of capturing an image and then sharing it in a public forum. Yes, we wanted make every one National Geographic caliber, but we are after all just enthusiasts who can sometimes capture a nice image. Also, photo editing software is a must. It can tweak an image and fix some of the minor flaws such as the colors with white balance (which is why I use raw format on my D200), color saturation, contrast and brightness.

Wish I had something witty to quip tonight, but you just get plain old me. Thanks for the support from many of you and special thanks to my sweetheart who was very patient with me during all the time I spent editing photos and posting.

-tom

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!! And let the wild rumpus begin! Sound the trumpets, start the marching bands, celebrate with all you got. You did something a lot of us only think about doing. So glad you made it and for some reason I knew you were going to accomplish it. So where is Collette going to take you for the celebration, anywhere special? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay papa!!! What a whirl of journey, and I enjoyed every moment of it! Seeing and hearing all the wonderful things and insights you had to share has been an awesome experience to have been privy to. Thank you for letting us in a little bit, and sharing a bit of yourself. -- I've loved everyone moment! :) Hurray for finishing!! Hurray for new adventures and new goals!!! Go gett'em Papa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! YOU DID IT!!!! YOU did it. I loved being allowed to follow your journey. From your desk to half way across the world. From just outside your office to a waterfall in Houston. Inside your home, of family to piano and cello.
    THANK YOU!!!
    Celebrate your journey with Collette and tell Angel good job as well.

    ReplyDelete