Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day 21


Self portrait. How do I view you? And how do you see me?

I love taking portraits. The intimacy of looking through the lens in this fashion strikes deeply within me. At times I'm embarrassed. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I'm looking at the real you, reaching out, seeing through the facade, perceiving the unique individual that you are. In return, the image I capture reveals something about me that's just as personal. A mutual trust between the photographer and subject. Or joy, sadness, grief, fear, love, and the multitude of emotions and sentiments that make each of us the simple yet complex beings that we are. Are you an intellect or caregiver? Perhaps a warrior! We need and have all kinds among us. And yet I believe we each have some of all within us to arise at appropriate times. For some it is easy for others a great struggle. We are the same in the challenges in life yet unique in the application and results. You are my sister, my brother and as such I share the Creator's love for all mankind. Yet I know I have enemies. I desire peace above all, yet when called upon the warrior within will arise and join in the great cause to preserve and defend. But I would prefer to be remembered as one who loved peace, strove for understanding, yet willing to stand firm against injustice and suffering. We would all do well to somewhere strike a balance between reason and passion. Be willing to challenge your own beliefs. In that journey you may well find a strengthening of that belief and perhaps it will become a truth to you.

As a photographer I don't mean to pry, I wish to share a moment in time and perhaps reveal a bit about you ... and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment